Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Hebrews 8 - I Will Be Their God

Hebrews 8:10 (HCSB), "'But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days,' says the Lord: 'I will put My laws into their minds, and I will write them on their hearts, and I will be their God, and they will be My people.'"
'"

The author of Hebrews here refers to the covenant that God made with Abraham in Genesis 17:7-8 and reaffirmed to the nation in Zechariah 8:8. Although this covenant is addressed to the "house of Israel", each of us who have accepted Christ as our saviour are also included when God says "My people." We are heirs with Christ and as such, God also covenants with us that He will be our God and we will be His people.

It's like a father who introduces his child to someone for the first time and says, "this is my child". There is a sense of belonging to be "God's people." Likewise, there is also implied a sense of responsibility when God says, "I will be their God." God is that father -- ready and willing to introduce his child and proudly proclaim, "this is my child".

Additionally, God promises to put His laws on our minds and on our hearts. As it says in The Message, "This new plan I'm making with Israel isn't going to be written on paper, isn't going to be chiseled in stone; This time I'm writing out the plan in them, carving it on the lining of their hearts. I'll be their God, they'll be my people." God loves us so much and cares for us so much that He wants us to know him intimately with our innermost being. Knowing in our mind and trusting in our heart that He is there for us no matter what.

Take Refuge. God has made His claim over you and stand ready to be your God.

No comments:

Post a Comment