Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Matthew 4 - He called, they followed.

Matthew 4:18-22 (HCSB) "As He was walking along the Sea of Galilee, He saw two brothers, Simon, who was called Peter, and his brother Andrew. They were casting a net into the sea, since they were fishermen. "Follow Me," He told them, "and I will make you fish for people!" Immediately they left their nets and followed Him. Going on from there, He saw two other brothers, James the son of Zebedee, and his brother John. They were in a boat with Zebedee their father, mending their nets, and He called them. Immediately they left the boat and their father and followed Him."

When Jesus called the disciples, they didn't hesitate or delay. They followed him immediately. As Matthew 4:20 says in The Message, "They didn't ask questions, but simply dropped their nets and followed." There was immediate obedience.

I've often wondered why this was. Peter and Andrew may have heard of Jesus by this time, but they didn't even ask, "Why me?" They just dropped everything and left. The same was true with James and John even leaving their father in the boat along with the nets they were mending. They could have said, "We'll follow you, but let us finish mending these nets first." But instead, "they were just as quick to follow, abandoning boat and father." (Matthew 4:22 - The Message).

What do you do when Jesus calls you? For me, it was to run in the other direction. I was afraid of what it would "cost" me. Would I have to be a "Jesus freak?" What would it feel like for people to tell me they didn't want to hear about the God that I was following. And, consider the financial cost. Most pastors are not financially "well off." No, the cost for me was too great, so I ran -- until now.

God has been patient with me and continued to pursue me until finally, I have surrendered to His call on my life to do whatever He asks. I don't yet know what that is or what the "cost" will be, but like the disciples, I need to stop asking questions and simply follow.

In retrospect, I think Peter and the others were glad they did. They got to spend 3 years learning at the feet of the Son of God! They got to see first hand the miracles that he was performing and hear from Him how to live an abundant life.

Take refuge, my friend, when God calls it is worth it to answer without hesitation. And, even if you delay, He will still pursue you because He has a perfect plan for you and He wants the very best for you. Give your life and your will to Him. You can trust Him, He won't lead you astray.

1 comment:

  1. Very well written. Your message comes thru loud and clear that even when we don't listen to God's call and go our own way, he NEVER gives up on us. It is reassuring to be reminded that no matter what God loves us. I like your blog, it is encouraging, real, and uplifting. Thankyou for the effort you have put into it! Sean

    ReplyDelete